Weaning

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Puppies will be 5 weeks tomorrow and since 3.5 weeks I've been feeding them mush, each week I add less water so now the mush looks like puffy big circles because I only use a lil water and goats milk to soak, They eat it fine. I've started to add some hard puppy food in it so they can start getting used to the harder texture and seem to be eating it fine..Now my question is when should I stop nursing? I have them on a 4/5 hr nursing time frame and they sleep through the night till about 6:30 am...Now mama will nurse for like 10 mins and they all do good but any time after the 10 mins I noticed it seems like the milk is gone because they all try to get another nipple and seem like their all dry. So she'll just get up and leave. They drink water out a bowl fine and I have a water bottle in their play pen and they drink it good. So when should I cut off nursing and also is three times a day on high quality mush good? and when should I feed them hard puppy food?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can stop nursing now that they are on regular food, and you are doing it right, in slowly introducing the dry. By 7 weeks they should be on dry only and just water. Sounds like you have a good handle on it mama. :2thumbs:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yep replace the nursing time with a bowl of goats milk, and slowly turn that milk to water instead, adding a but more water each day. Are they drinking water yet? I found weaning them to water harder than weaning them to food, so the goats milk water combo works well for me. I do it over about a week until its just water. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Thanks everyone...Yes they drink water fine out of a bowl and their water bottle in their play pen. I did do the whole goats milk with water till they got off the goats milk completely and drank the water. I do notice that I have to keep mama out of their way or they wont eat their food or drink their water so I have a designated spot for them. Also mama has been losing hair I've read up on the BLOWING coat thing is there anything I should do or give to her? I had her on puppy food with goats milk and yogurt but slowly weaned her off the milk and yogurt so now she's only eating the puppy food dry.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Good Advice listed so far. I agree with the time and the transition.
Watch the puppies and they will give indication of when they are ready.
Moms also.

Good Day~

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
SDC14899.jpgSDC14900.jpg Nap time

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh my gosh, look at you!!!!! you did it!!!!! 3 times a day feeding kibble is right

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks everyone...Yes they drink water fine out of a bowl and their water bottle in their play pen. I did do the whole goats milk with water till they got off the goats milk completely and drank the water. I do notice that I have to keep mama out of their way or they wont eat their food or drink their water so I have a designated spot for them. Also mama has been losing hair I've read up on the BLOWING coat thing is there anything I should do or give to her? I had her on puppy food with goats milk and yogurt but slowly weaned her off the milk and yogurt so now she's only eating the puppy food dry.

Okay great! Just stick with the water then :). They are so cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Beautiful pups, good job mama.

Most Reactions