2.5 week old puppies

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Gypsy's 6 puppies are 2.5 weeks now...Her milk is doing better now that we added goats milk to her puppy food and yogurt Now I have a few questions this is my first litter and thought I was very well prepared but ended up seeing so many people do it different and now I'm somewhat confused.

1. We have been stimulating them since mom wont and they recently started going on their own so should I stop and let them on their own or keep on? if so how long do I need to keep stimulating them to go??

2. Eye's are opened and they are learning to walk better so how do I start the potty training what methods work they best and how early should I start??

3. When do I stop using their heat lamp?

4. Will 3.5 weeks be ok to introduce puppy mush?? and when I start do they continue to nurse and how many times a day do I feed them??

5. Also I still have them on a 2 hour time feeding I know at three weeks I can start to back off to 3 or 4 hours when will that be best??

Sorry for all the questions I've seen so many other breeders do it differently and now it has me feeling like Im not doing it right...I saw one lady who said she had her newborns on a 3/4 hour feeding time which baffled my mind since they are newborns. Please help me I feel like Im not doing a good job :nope:

Attachments

• SDC14717.jpg
    SDC14717.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 123

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GREAT picture.... I tagged a few members that have newborn experience

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Gypsy's 6 puppies are 2.5 weeks now...Her milk is doing better now that we added goats milk to her puppy food and yogurt Now I have a few questions this is my first litter and thought I was very well prepared but ended up seeing so many people do it different and now I'm somewhat confused.

1. We have been stimulating them since mom wont and they recently started going on their own so should I stop and let them on their own or keep on? if so how long do I need to keep stimulating them to go??

2. Eye's are opened and they are learning to walk better so how do I start the potty training what methods work they best and how early should I start??

4. Will 3.5 weeks be ok to introduce puppy mush?? and when I start do they continue to nurse and how many times a day do I feed them??

5. Also I still have them on a 2 hour time feeding I know at three weeks I can start to back off to 3 or 4 hours when will that be best??

Sorry for all the questions I've seen so many other breeders do it differently and now it has me feeling like Im not doing it right...I saw one lady who said she had her newborns on a 3/4 hour feeding time which baffled my mind since they are newborns. Please help me I feel like Im not doing a good job :nope:

You can stop stimulating them. they will go potty by themselves. Turn off the heat lamp now. Give them water in a shallow dish now, you can start the mush at 3.5 weeks and they must still nurse too. feed them three times a day on the mush, they can nurse every four hours. let them sleep during the night at 3.5 weeks old if they can, if they can't let them nurse.
start potty training at week 4

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

1. We have been stimulating them since mom wont and they recently started going on their own so should I stop and let them on their own or keep on? if so how long do I need to keep stimulating them to go?? I keep helping them go until I see them squatting and pooping on their own just like an adult would.

2. Eye's are opened and they are learning to walk better so how do I start the potty training what methods work they best and how early should I start?? I put pee pads in their area, they usually start going on it pretty quick. Dog litter works great as well.

3. When do I stop using their heat lamp? Usually around 3 weeks

4. Will 3.5 weeks be ok to introduce puppy mush?? and when I start do they continue to nurse and how many times a day do I feed them?? 3.5 weeks is good to introduce and start the weening process, the first couple days I do it once a day..... then a few days of twice a day, then finally 3 times a day and by then they should be pretty good at it. So around 4 weeks old is when you are fully weaning. I let them eat a small amount of mush, then rotating in goats milk, thinning out the goats milk each time with water, then more water, then more, over the next 2 weeks until they are fully weaned to water. I find weaning to water is harder than weaning to puppy food. But always keep a fresh water available to them even if they are not taking to it right away, even in between feedings.

5. Also I still have them on a 2 hour time feeding I know at three weeks I can start to back off to 3 or 4 hours when will that be best?? You can start right now getting some more rest at night. You need it and so do they as they are growing. This also teaches them at an early age that nighttime is the main sleep time. After the latest feeding you can allow 4 hours. 3 hours in between feedings right now is fine, and they are precious!

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
You can stop stimulating them. they will go potty by themselves. Turn off the heat lamp now. Give them water in a shallow dish now, you can start the mush at 3.5 weeks and they must still nurse too. feed them three times a day on the mush, they can nurse every four hours. let them sleep during the night at 3.5 weeks old if they can, if they can't let them nurse.
start potty training at week 4

Ok thank you very much I was going that way but I've read so many other ways breeders were doing it that I was begining to doubt myself on what I was doing. This makes me feel better. Thank you so much

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
1. We have been stimulating them since mom wont and they recently started going on their own so should I stop and let them on their own or keep on? if so how long do I need to keep stimulating them to go?? I keep helping them go until I see them squatting and pooping on their own just like an adult would.

2. Eye's are opened and they are learning to walk better so how do I start the potty training what methods work they best and how early should I start?? I put pee pads in their area, they usually start going on it pretty quick. Dog litter works great as well.

3. When do I stop using their heat lamp? Usually around 3 weeks

4. Will 3.5 weeks be ok to introduce puppy mush?? and when I start do they continue to nurse and how many times a day do I feed them?? 3.5 weeks is good to introduce and start the weening process, the first couple days I do it once a day..... then a few days of twice a day, then finally 3 times a day and by then they should be pretty good at it. So around 4 weeks old is when you are fully weaning. I let them eat a small amount of mush, then rotating in goats milk, thinning out the goats milk each time with water, then more water, then more, over the next 2 weeks until they are fully weaned to water. I find weaning to water is harder than weaning to puppy food. But always keep a fresh water available to them even if they are not taking to it right away, even in between feedings.

5. Also I still have them on a 2 hour time feeding I know at three weeks I can start to back off to 3 or 4 hours when will that be best?? You can start right now getting some more rest at night. You need it and so do they as they are growing. This also teaches them at an early age that nighttime is the main sleep time. After the latest feeding you can allow 4 hours. 3 hours in between feedings right now is fine, and they are precious!
Ok that helps me out a lot...Yes we do need sleep haha but it's totally worth it...I love being up at 3 am feeding and watching them get full and lay out they are too cute I'm going to miss them when it's time to go...We have 4 sold and two left but I think I want to keep one...We probably wont breed mama again she was so miserable during her pregnancy, throwing up since the first week of A.I. throughout her whole pregnancy vet said she had bad morning sickness I felt so bad for her, Dr even said he's never seen a bully get that sick during pregnancy.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
You're doing fine, I'm sure. With one litter of pit pups I fostered due to mama getting a severe mammary infection at the shelter, I introduced mush at almost 4 weeks. And then I did it in my huge bathtub since they literally swam in it while eating so i could hose them and the tub off after each meal. I'm not joking, it was ridiculous the mess they made with it. :mad: I agree with desert sky about their pooping, keep doing it til they are squatting and giving you that precious bully "poop face". I must be crazy (but I think we all are bully-crazy on here!) but I just love Cleo's poop face. She looks so intense like, don't disturb me this is important.
Good luck!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Sounds like you got lots of good advise! Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

As often the case, the advise listed is very good and very close to what we do. Each litter we learn something new and after 5 years we STILL do not know it all. I am always looking for new ideas, new tips and solutions.

Sleep eventually does come back to about normal. Say at maybe.....4 months old? along the way when the pups are learning about potty training, I get up in the middle of night once to let them out. I do this until they are 4+ months old. Avoiding accidents rather than them just accepting it is ok to pee or poo in the crate/bedding?

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.