Mom's milk

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
So Gypsys puppies are 2 weeks old and I've noticed that they are crying more then normal so I check her boobies and only a few boobs seem to squirt milk. So I think her milk it not producing enough for all 6. So my question can I start weaning this early and how would I go about it?? How many times and what about nursing and water?? I've read up that you can soak high quality puppy food but how would I make this? I just dont want my puppies starving and losing weight...Can someone help please...I wasn't going to start weaning till 4/5weeks.:crying:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have no idea on this but I do know their is mild replacer if you need to start bottle feeding some. Do the puppies look healthy and chubby?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
You could start weighing them before each meal and then after to make sure they are getting enough. But it sounds to me like they are getting enough food! If you notice them not gaining or crying and being unsettled to much then I would worry about the food issue. But for sure start weighing them!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Usually the bottom 4 teets will produce the most milk. Make sure each puppy gets rotated around often. Check mamma's teets often to make sure they are not hard and clean them with sterile solution after. They are growing so it only takes them a short period of time to get their fill. They will also no longer require a box that is 85 degrees at three weeks. They may be too warm? Usually they cry if they are not comfortable temperature wise. If you need to supplement, use goat milk. Sold at most grocery stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Any more advise anyone I need more answers :/
no experience with bullies but my parents bred Bostons in AZ for a long time before my mom passed away so I have experience period. Get a good quality puppy milk replacer and bottle feed after they have nursed until they are full to be sure they are getting enough. At that age, they should feed as often as necessary and as much as they want. Good luck, you may want to get up at night to feed them too at least maybe twice. Are you home with them all day?

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Yes Im a stay at home mom I've been getting up every two/three hours all day everyday to make sure they are feeding. I've read you can start the weaning process at two weeks but how and what do I use? I was waiting till they were 3/4 weeks. But it seems like they dont get their fill.

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I was having somewhat of the same issue with Nihya. Be sure to have water available to mom all of the time as it will aid in lactation.

Also, i made my own milk replacer which i gave to a couple of my puppies when mom wasn't making enough milk.

Milk Replacer
-10oz evaporated milk or goats milk
-1 raw egg yolk (yolk only)
-1cup whole fat yogurt
-1/2 tsp. Karo Syrup
-1 tbls. Mayo

Mix all ingredients together and serve warm. Its 1cc per oz of body weight. I put the tip of my index finger, up to the first knuckle, in the puppys mouth and had them suck on it. Then I'd get the syringe and place it on the side of the puppies mouth. The puppies sucking action on my finger forced the milk out of the syringe without having to force any milk into the puppies mouth. Be sure to give puppy small breaks between feeding from the syringe so it doesn't pass any into its lungs.

TIP: be sure to bring up some air into the syringe before you bring up the formula. It will make sucking out the milk a lot easier for the puppy.

I would not start weaning until about 3.5 weeks as that's when i started to feed mush.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I agree! I think 2 weeks is way to early! I think at least make it to three weeks and I would say even four weeks!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=5924]gypsysmommy[/MENTION] I just tagged a few other people with breeding/puppy experience they should be along shortly

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
A vet can also give you some medicine to give the mom to produce more milk. It is also important that the mom drinks and eats more than normal to produce the milk. Mom's milk is very fatty and she also needs to eat more fat. Some say that zink can help to produce more milk.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We always let mom free eat when she has pups nursing, so keep plenty of food and water for mom available. Plus I would not ween them until 4 weeks of age. If they are not getting enough milk from mom, you can bottle feed them. They should gain weight everyday.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] gave you excelent advise, they have had lots of puppy experience, you should trust them.
[MENTION=5924]gypsysmommy[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.