Cleft palette?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was wondering how common a cleft palette? I have never heard of this before I joined this web page but have been told about it a couple times so I was wondering just how common it is? Thank you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Cleft palate is a physical birth defect caused by an incomplete fusing of the two halves of the palate during neonatal development. The palate is the roof of the mouth. The hard palate is the front part of the mouth, and it separates the oral cavity from the nose. Cleft palate is caused by a disturbance of the normal processes that form the face and the jaw during fetal development.
Causes are genetic from mating a male and a female that both have cleft palates, resulting in more than 40% of their offspring to be affected, poor maternal nutrition, viral infection of the bitch during pregnancy, exposure to toxic things, chemicals, or other substances during pregnancy, metabolic disorders, physical or mechanical interferences of the fetus during development , and administration of corticosteroids to the female during pregnancy.

The best way to prevent these defects is to spay or neuter affected animals, or remove them from the breeding population, and no corticosteroids to be given to bitches during pregnancy.

Symptoms of cleft palate in dogs are:

nasal congestion
difficulty nursing
chronic nasal discharge
coughing
gagging/ sneezing
difficulty eating
difficulty breathing
obvious split upper lip
failure to thrive

Cleft Palate occurs sporadically in all breeds and mixed breeds of dogs, and equally in males or females, but it is more common in Beagles, Boston Terriers, Brittany Spaniels, English/French Bulldogs, Cocker Spaniels, Dachshunds, German Shepherds, Pekingese, Labradors, Schnauzers, Shetland Sheepdogs, and Shihtzus.

Brachycephalic breeds, those with broad skulls, and short flat faces are predisposed to developing Cleft Palate.

Treatment is corrective surgery to close the gap at 6 to 8 weeks of age.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Thank you! That told me all the information I needed to know!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's not that common, but does happen occupationally, in all breeds.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]-I was worried for a minute because Lola's mom had her litter the other day and one of the pups had a cleft lip and I didnt know if that was a sign of a health concern or something genetic that could be a problem in all the puppies? She has been breeding for about 5 years now and this is her second puppy with it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] they are a genetic defect and are hereditary.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]-if I don't plan on breeding would it matter if I got a puppy out of this litter?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] not at all, as long as you are not going to breed the pup, no problem.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]-thank you for your help!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

While this is a deformity that can and does exist, responsible breeders can help to control the problem by preventing continued breeding of a know carrier.

And also sadly a puppy born with a cleft pallet usually does not survive. The ability to nurse properly is prevent by the gap and the puppy does not thrive.

When a new litter is born, the VET MUST CHECK for cleft pallet as part of the examination. Failure to accurately check causes the puppy to suffer unnecessarily and usually ends up needing to be euthanized.

In the past I had a litter that one of the puppies was not thriving after 4 days and when I went back to the vet again, this time the cleft pallet was discovered. Sadly the original vet who did the delivery was not the regular vet. She was a "sub/retired" vet that apparently did not have experience with this issue. This was my first lesson years ago. Sadly that puppy had to be euthanized.

Not all will need to be euthanized. The degree of problem has to be the deciding issue. Some minor lip or gum issue are not as severe as others.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.