Anyone know how to judge the show worthiness of a pup?

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
These days, when I watch EBs at a dog show, I (really do) compare each dog to our very own @BiggieSmalls. To me, he is the precise picture of EB perfection in a show-worthy dog. How this pup wasn't hand picked to show at Krufts this year is beyond me. Truly beyond me. When you read the AKC description, he personifies it in my opinion.

When and if Doris and BiggieSmalls have pups, I am going to be the first in line begging for a chance at one.....
HAHAHA!!! Thank you so much! It really means alot to me!

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
these pictures were take of zamboni at just over 5 months old and 42 pounds. I'd appreciate any kind of evaluation of his conformation and if it's even worth it to think about showing him. If you see flaws, beyond the tear stains that are not under control right now, please feel free to point them out. I am not looking for oh, what a pretty dog complements but an honest evaluation, pluses and minuses. Thanks.http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/linwhite/Zamboni at 5 months/?albumview=slideshow
Hi! Congrats on your new puppy! He is definitely a cute pup. Now as far show quality, it is hard to say at 4 months old. While Biggie was able to become a champion and won the hearts of many judges, he wasn't exactly show quality at 4 months

Here he is at 3-4 months
248906_210080295697520_417639_n.jpg
247420_210080332364183_1723781_n.jpg

Here he is at 17 Months:
EdblJ.jpg

Your boy seems to have a very good chest on him, along with some straight pasterns (feet), very good angulation in his hind legs.

His tail is set a bit high and his ears as well. My boy also has a high set of ears. Your boy does have potential at the moment but only time will tell how he will develop in the future. In my experience with showing, often, it's not exactly about what the standard is, but which judge you are showing under. Some judges loved Biggie and some others didn't even look at him twice. I remember one show I went to. It was a double show (2 shows in one day with 2 different judges). On the first one, Biggie took Best of Breed, Best Puppy In Breed and 2nd of Group. On the second show, he didnt even make it to winners dog lol.

Good luck with your boy!

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Thanks so much. I know he's young to be sure but I'm trying to get a feel if it's even worth training him for it. I know all about judges though. I've heard enough stories about their differing opinions over the years.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Some judges loved Biggie and some others didn't even look at him twice. I remember one show I went to. It was a double show (2 shows in one day with 2 different judges). On the first one, Biggie took Best of Breed, Best Puppy In Breed and 2nd of Group. On the second show, he didnt even make it to winners dog lol.

How in the world is that even POSSIBLE?!? Shame on that second judge. CLEARLY an amateur! LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's hard to tell from the pics, but I agree with Kevin that his tail is set a little high. One way to see how he does, is when he gets 6 months old, put him in a few shows and see how he does.

CraftingDreams

Dec 25, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I think she will be called Nadia G
Im no judge, but a friend of mine shows her Chinese Crested, and we were talking. She informed me that in order to be judged for best of breed, they can not be spayed or neutered.. HOWEVER, in the event you have a dog that is, you can still have it entered in the Jr. division. .which you might want to find a "Jr." to show him in that case.. so if by chance his man card has got to go, but you still want to show him, find an appropriate aged child.. (your own, a friends, a family member) who is interested in showing him.. and work with them.. it can still be fun.. :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
HAHAHA!!! Thank you so much! It really means alot to me!

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]...Yes! Yes! Yes! I so totally agree with you, both Biggie Smalls & Doris are absolute
bully perfection, I drool over each pic of them shared with us. I am a rabid fan...totally!

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Im no judge, but a friend of mine shows her Chinese Crested, and we were talking. She informed me that in order to be judged for best of breed, they can not be spayed or neutered.. HOWEVER, in the event you have a dog that is, you can still have it entered in the Jr. division. .which you might want to find a "Jr." to show him in that case.. so if by chance his man card has got to go, but you still want to show him, find an appropriate aged child.. (your own, a friends, a family member) who is interested in showing him.. and work with them.. it can still be fun.. :)

Thanks, I will remember that. I do know a young lady who knows bullys and wants to learn to be a handler. Her mother shows dogs and has offered to handle Zam if he looks like he might have a chance at being show worthy. A little more time and we'll know.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

What each of us provide as an opinion on "show worthiness" is of course based on our own opinions. If someone here is a judge, that is also based on an opinion, albeit it should be on the standard of the breed. A picture is very hard to tell.

I would suggest you find a bulldog handler or trainer in your area and then get a hand's on personal evaluation.

Kind in mind that a "show" dog is evaluated among the other dogs that are entered in that class at that show.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.