Anyone know how to judge the show worthiness of a pup?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
these pictures were take of zamboni at just over 5 months old and 42 pounds. I'd appreciate any kind of evaluation of his conformation and if it's even worth it to think about showing him. If you see flaws, beyond the tear stains that are not under control right now, please feel free to point them out. I am not looking for oh, what a pretty dog complements but an honest evaluation, pluses and minuses. Thanks.http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/linwhite/Zamboni at 5 months/?albumview=slideshow

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Lin, this might be better in the competition and showing area. It's totally fine here of course but if you'd like me to move it just let me know. :)

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't notice that area. Move away please. thanks.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
OMG he is cute! I dont know anything about show but I know a lot in cuteness and he is the winner!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Im not foolish enough to criticize someone's baby...... Just kidding. BUT, Your best bet is to print out the breed standards; read and understand them completely and then make the evaluation yourself. That way you will learn what the standards expect and where each attribute places your dog in the show arena.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Im not foolish enough to criticize someone's baby...... Just kidding. BUT, Your best bet is to print out the breed standards; read and understand them completely and then make the evaluation yourself. That way you will learn what the standards expect and where each attribute places your dog in the show arena.

Yes, I'm doing that too now that I have the illustrated standard. Other, not kennel blind opinions are helpful as well.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
He is a handsome young Bulldog! I'm no judge but all I could see was that his paws looked somewhat "easty/westy", but it is really hard to tell when the dog is standing still instead of walking. He is a beauty!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Judging from pix is one of the most difficult of tasks. I judged a fancy goldy show a couple years online... it was a terrible task. The very slightest of angle change makes a world of difference. It pretty much came down to whoever took the best pix, won. LOL Deportation is an important attribute but is impossible to assertion from pix. Like I said above, knowledge of the standards is the biggest aid in measuring your animal.
ALso, I belong to a Koi website and they have a special forum for people that want their koi evaluated by the members. It is laden with warnings to leave your feelings at home if you post a koi for evaluation. Koi can be in the five figure price range and some even hit six figures. You can imagine how someone feels when they post their $25K fish on a site and the members tell them it is crap... LOL.. A lot of hard feelings are borne from 'picture judging'.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] - can I make a tiny suggestion .... I suggest maybe getting some stacking blocks so he knows where to stand and how to stand then using a show lead (and not hold him but the scruff), stack him and have some pictures taken again. If he is stacked properly and held with a show lead, it will be easier for checking him out.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for both suggestions. I know what stacking blocks are and have a show lead. I'll try to find some blocks and use the lead next time.

M

mabel lou

Lin, this might be better in the competition and showing area. It's totally fine here of course but if you'd like me to move it just let me know.

Where exactly is this at "
the competition and showing area" ????? I have problems finding things on this site but I can't say I have ever seen this page????? Somebody, anybody????
Thanks

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Lin, this might be better in the competition and showing area. It's totally fine here of course but if you'd like me to move it just let me know.

Where exactly is this at "
the competition and showing area" ????? I have problems finding things on this site but I can't say I have ever seen this page????? Somebody, anybody????
Thanks

When you first go into the forum, it's in the "English Bulldog Talk" section, where you find the Daily Poll, General Bulldog Talk, Rescue Efforts, Nutrition, Behavior & Training etc etc it is towards the bottom of that section of the forum.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: is he fixed or did they not drop yet I don't know much about showing but I know they can't be fixed

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
He has not been fixed and you can not show if they have been. I hope to wait until he's more fully grown to do the dastardly deed unless I'm showing or breeding him of course. If he starts marking in my house they will go regardless. Been there, dealt with that, won't again.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
These days, when I watch EBs at a dog show, I (really do) compare each dog to our very own [MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION]. To me, he is the precise picture of EB perfection in a show-worthy dog. How this pup wasn't hand picked to show at Krufts this year is beyond me. Truly beyond me. When you read the AKC description, he personifies it in my opinion.

When and if Doris and BiggieSmalls have pups, I am going to be the first in line begging for a chance at one.....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.