Newborn puppies

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Update! Nihya had 5 puppies. 3 boys and 2 girls. All of them are looking amazing with big heads, which is what i was looking for. Puppies are one and a half days old and all are eating well as i keep track of each of their feedings by stimulating them to go bathroom, weigh them, have them feed, and weigh them again. I'm looking for a sight increase in weight as it will tell me that they've eaten.

Question 1: when will i start seeing firmer stools. Right now it's more liquidy, orange in color. Is this normal and if so how long can i expect to see this?

Question 2: how much should the puppies be eating every time Nihya Feeds them? Right now I'm seeing an increase in weight ranging from .3 to .9. For example last feeding one of the girls weighed in at 12.6 before feeding and 12.8 after feeding. My boss are eating more of course. One boy weighed in at 14.3oz before feeding and 15.1oz after feeding. Is this ok? Or should they bee eating more? I allow all the puppies to eat until they un latch from mom and arent looking for more.

Thanks for the help!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
No clue here, but I tagged people who can give you some answers. Congrats on the babies and I look forward to pics very soon!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like you are doing things right so far.

For the poo, remember what you feed mom goes to the pups. Try not to give her too complicated of food, keep it simple and allow her to eat as much as she wants while nursing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I say keep it simple try not to add too many toppings and stuff, just a good quality puppy food with a tsp of yogurt once a day. Rest of the time just the food and dont forget to add a supplement! Should be the same puppy food you plan on feeding the puppies.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Why in the world are there not pics posted yet! :cursing: Com'on Don't Leave Us Hanging! LOL

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
When I say keep it simple try not to add too many toppings and stuff, just a good quality puppy food with a tsp of yogurt once a day. Rest of the time just the food and dont forget to add a supplement! Should be the same puppy food you plan on feeding the puppies.

What supplements do you recommend?

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I looked at the forums on how to insert pictures but I'm still not able to. I'm using my smartphone to access the web page? I'm assuming that's probably the issue.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on the pups and sounds like you are doing everything right so far, and as long as your pups are gaining weight everyday they are eating enough. One thing to watch out for is that their tails don't get stuck to their body, so keep it clean back there. As far as the supplements for mom, we use HardyPet Complete and you can buy from their web site. Others use NuVet, both are good supplements.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I use Nuvet and folic acid :). For the poo a great tip it to put a thick swipe of vaseline on the butt so the poo doesnt stick.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Update! Nihya had 5 puppies. 3 boys and 2 girls. All of them are looking amazing with big heads, which is what i was looking for. Puppies are one and a half days old and all are eating well as i keep track of each of their feedings by stimulating them to go bathroom, weigh them, have them feed, and weigh them again. I'm looking for a sight increase in weight as it will tell me that they've eaten.

Question 1: when will i start seeing firmer stools. Right now it's more liquidy, orange in color. Is this normal and if so how long can i expect to see this?

Question 2: how much should the puppies be eating every time Nihya Feeds them? Right now I'm seeing an increase in weight ranging from .3 to .9. For example last feeding one of the girls weighed in at 12.6 before feeding and 12.8 after feeding. My boss are eating more of course. One boy weighed in at 14.3oz before feeding and 15.1oz after feeding. Is this ok? Or should they bee eating more? I allow all the puppies to eat until they un latch from mom and arent looking for more.

Thanks for the help!

Orange poop is normal for a new born puppy. Feed every 2 hours, set an alarm so you don't miss the feeding. Sounds like you are doing ok so far. Feed for 20 at least or until they are full. I never weighed puppy's much. I can tell when they've had their fill. Big belly, I can feel the change in weight in my hand and you can certainly see how fast they grow.
Now where are those pictures of those baby's ?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have no advice to give ..... I'm just standing in line with the rest of them waiting for some pics!! :yes:

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: congratulations I would love to see pictures please when your writing you will see a tree button four buttons past the smiley face press that an that's where you can get the pictures to post

Most Reactions