Long story, but your help would be HUGELY appreciated...

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Destin, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
When I first got Samson (recent pics down below), I thought, "well hell, I just bought an English Bulldog! I'm gonna stud him out and make a little bit of money!" Then, I fell in love. Now he's 16 months old and I haven't studded him out once and that original thought of making some quick cash off of him is long gone. I want to get him fixed soon so he can live a long, happy, and healthy life. That's what is most important to me. He's now 16 months old and other than a few food allergies, which my vet who has raised bullies for over 20 years says is very common with the bread, is as healthy, fit, and athletic as can be (he's even been known to hop on a skateboard when the mood strikes). The only thing that is holding me back is that I want a puppy from him. Not just to get a free pup, but because I want a puppy from HIM. I want to keep him in my family as long as can. I won't even attempt to claim that he is show quality, but I can say that he is EXTREMELY healthy and active for an EBD, plus he's gorgeous (he gets compliments all the time, even from other EBD owners). He's a big boy at a healthy and fit 62lbs. His father was a gigantic 72lbs (HUGE HEAD) at 4 years old when Samson was born. His father has a clean pedigree with absolutely NO health issues, not even any allergies, and he had a rep of producing very large healthy litters. His mother was a gorgeous piebald EBN out of Georgia who came from 5 former champions. Not all of the pups in his litter were quite as big as him, but I was told by his breeder that the sire, Titus, came from a Hungarian bloodline which produces a larger EBN. Samson is AKC registered and I have his pedigree going back 5 generations (or 4, I'd have to check to be 100%, but I think 5 if memory serves me correct) on both sides. I have done my research and I don't want to breed him just to breed him. I don't want to breed him for $$$. And I don't want to breed him to produce a show dog. I simply want to breed him so that he can live on in my family so we can continue to experience the love, joy, and companionship that he's given me and so that the rest of his pups can do the same for others. I realize that EBD's are a delicate breed and the wrong mix can create bad results. This is why I'm here..... for advice. I want to get him neutered sooner rather than later so I really need some good advise on this subject. Can anyone tell me how to go about finding good quality breeders in my area? I live in the FL panhandle so anyone here, in southern AL, LA, GA, or even MS and northern FL would be great if it's the right dame. His breeder has since moved to central FL and I'm in the process of reaching out to her for advice as well. Any help in the meantime would be hugely appreciated.... Thanks in advance for any good info you can give!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

OP
Danny Nystrand

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
By the way.... When I breed him, I plan on getting another boy. I have his name all picked out. Samson's full AKC registered name is Dman's Mighty Samson. The pup that I hope to soon have will be Dman's "Lamont" Son of Samson.... Think Sanford & Son.... They ran a junkyad... Red's son was named Lamont, so it's like Samson & Son, a couple of JUNKYARD bulldogs! LOL! I think it's pretty clever ;)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I understand your thinking..but I'm no help! One thought..a pup from him..might not be anything like him. Just a thought! I'll tag a couple people..

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].

OP
Danny Nystrand

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
@JAKEISGREAT: I realize that a pup from him might be different and that's totally fine.... It's more about the lineage and the legacy to me, I think. As you can see from the pics he's fawn & white, but his father is known to produce fawn, brown, piebald, and even solid white pups. I'm not going to necessarily try to get one that is just like him. I just want to know that it will be one of his pups. But thanks for the post and the tags!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT: I realize that a pup from him might be different and that's totally fine.... It's more about the lineage and the legacy to me, I think. As you can see from the pics he's fawn & white, but his father is known to produce fawn, brown, piebald, and even solid white pups. I'm not going to necessarily try to get one that is just like him. I just want to know that it will be one of his pups. But thanks for the post and the tags!

Ya...I was referring more to his personality! After all..that is what really makes each Bully special. Not their lineage or papers..but whats missing in their big noggins!! :ROFL:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey there! I understand your attachment to your guy and wanting to keep his legacy. He is fine looking bulldog as well.

I am going to be completely honest with you, so don't take any of what I am typing the wrong way.

If you are 100% serious about this, you should attend some Bulldog Club of America gatherings and local meetups, and try to meet some local breeders. Now, whether or not they would use your boy for a stud would be very low honestly. Most breeders have their own choice studs they use and are very picky about lines and genetics. Unless you go with a puppy mill type, I highly doubt you would want to do this, because now your puppy is coming from an unhealthy upbringing.

Which leaves you with an even more dangerous option. Finding someone who has a female, and decide to make puppies without any knowledge what so ever about how to breed. Most people do not know or understand what it takes to breed, and it puts the mother and puppies at great risk. Even those of us who do it can never say we know everything, these babies are a joy to raise but they can also cut open your heart like a knife in a moments notice. Having the time, funds, and being prepared for anything is a must. It is not only a financial investment, but a huge emotional investment as well. Again, using someone who does not know what they are doing can raise a very unhealthy puppy. Not intentional, but just by not having a mentor to help guide them on the little things.

So in the end, unless your goals are for you or the person who has a female is to become a breeder, have a mentor to guide you through the process and become dedicated and diligent.... I think you are much better off getting another pup from your breeder that has the same lineage. You will love a puppy regardless of who the parents are, they are each so special and unique.

I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying it is just not that easy.

OP
Danny Nystrand

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
@desertskybulldogs: I appreciate the input and I understand what you're saying, but maybe I didn't make my intentions 100% clear. I don't intend on becoming a breeder, and I have no intentions in carelessly breeding Samson with a random EBD. Samson is the 1st of 2 bulldogs that my ex-wife and I have owned (they are both together in the signature pic at the bottom of my posts). While the other one is happy and healthy living with her now, we did deal with some medical issues with the 2nd pup that were tough to handle both financially and emotionally so I don't want to give the impression that I am taking this lightly. I have done research and looked on the BCA website and have found it more difficult than I expected to locate the right people and/or clubs that can help me. As I said in my first post, I'm in the process of contacting Samson's breeder, but she has relocated about 8 hours away to south-central FL and is no longer a quick 40 minute drive away like she used to be. I just recently reached out to her via email and am waiting to hear back. Now, while I wasn't promised to receive a show quality dog in Samson, there are champion bloodlines in his pedigree and I do have the breeding rights. I'm no expert when it comes to pedigrees and have no idea how desirable it may or may not make him as a stud. This is why I'm here.... to network and hopefully get pointed in the right direction and perhaps find a "mentor" as you mentioned. For all I know, his pedigree could be very desirable to the right respectable breeder. Then again, maybe not. Either way, I am prepared to find out and deal with the results responsibly. I've been a member here since December of last year and figured it would be worth a shot to see if someone on EBN might know of someone that I could contact that is in or near the FL panhandle region. If you or anyone else might be able to help me in that department, I would be extremely grateful.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
@desertskybulldogs: I appreciate the input and I understand what you're saying, but maybe I didn't make my intentions 100% clear. I don't intend on becoming a breeder, and I have no intentions in carelessly breeding Samson with a random EBD. Samson is the 1st of 2 bulldogs that my ex-wife and I have owned (they are both together in the signature pic at the bottom of my posts). While the other one is happy and healthy living with her now, we did deal with some medical issues with the 2nd pup that were tough to handle both financially and emotionally so I don't want to give the impression that I am taking this lightly. I have done research and looked on the BCA website and have found it more difficult than I expected to locate the right people and/or clubs that can help me. As I said in my first post, I'm in the process of contacting Samson's breeder, but she has relocated about 8 hours away to south-central FL and is no longer a quick 40 minute drive away like she used to be. I just recently reached out to her via email and am waiting to hear back. Now, while I wasn't promised to receive a show quality dog in Samson, there are champion bloodlines in his pedigree and I do have the breeding rights. I'm no expert when it comes to pedigrees and have no idea how desirable it may or may not make him as a stud. This is why I'm here.... to network and hopefully get pointed in the right direction and perhaps find a "mentor" as you mentioned. For all I know, his pedigree could be very desirable to the right respectable breeder. Then again, maybe not. Either way, I am prepared to find out and deal with the results responsibly. I've been a member here since December of last year and figured it would be worth a shot to see if someone on EBN might know of someone that I could contact that is in or near the FL panhandle region. If you or anyone else might be able to help me in that department, I would be extremely grateful.

I do not know of any breeders in Florida, I am on the west coast, sure wish I could help you find someone. I surely hope you find a great mentor.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Studding out your boy to a reputable breeder is a hard thing to do unless he is a champion or on his way to a champion. Plus most of the time they will not just give a pup away for breeding with him. Usually you just get paid for the breeding. You can find some one who just wants to breed their female who may give you a pup, but as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has said you have to be careful and study the two pedigrees to be sure you will produce a great litter of pups. People who do not do this and just breeds to breed can produce some unhealthy or ugly pups. As she said go to some BCA meetings or go to some dog shows and meet people to see if you can find someone that has a good match and may be interested, or contact your breeder for help or advise.

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I have been breeding and showing bulldogs for 7 years now and still feel like a newbie...People who stud out their dogs in the show world have gone to shows for many years and then do all the necessary health testing in order to offer their dog for stud. I can't imagine you finding a good quality female to breed your boy to....I went to show's for a few years before I bred my girl's... Check out the Bulldog club of America if you decide to go ahead and look for one but seriously I would get out and check out local shows in your area and attend a few....www.infodog.com can give you an idea of show's in surrounding area's. Good Luck

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
There is an ebd breeder over in Land of Lakes Florida which is north tampa. central Florida. She is a member of the bca and shows her dogs. she is also a frenchie breeder I do not know if I can give her your name here because I am new and own one, first time bullie- but she is on their website.. She has been extremly helpfull in many questions about ebd's. I didn't even purchase a pup thru her but I write her sometimes once or twice a day and she always gets back to me the same day. Hero

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Your Bullie is very nice. If you are interested in breeding and do all of the research and prepare and plan and have the finances to breed properly, I say go ahead. It is NOT for the money. PM me for more details.

I also live in Arizona but have Bullie friends all over America and Europe. Those who breed and those who show.

Good Day,

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Alright, I know ZERO about bloodlines, lineage, etc. my sweet angel came from my ex's parents who were (are?) wonderful breeders who love the breed and are so awesome it's a shame there aren't more like them everywhere. Their dames are never bred more than 3 times in their lives, and if they show any kind of behavioral issues they aren't bred but left to live out their bully lives perfectly happy and loved. They live in the country and have the dogs in the house or in the kennel. Their "kennel" is fully insulated, climate controlled place that's nicer than some places I've lived! Each litter (and as long as I knew them, they had no more than one a year) sleeps in his parents closet, in their room, with them. His mom wipes their booties with a warmed baby wipe while they eat! Lol. All their bullies are AKC, championship, etc etc etc. the only reason I registered Dexter was a custody issue, I didn't want him bred.

Point to my story is, I'm still close with the family because they like to get updates on their puppies...they're from purvis, MS.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Breeding ANY animal dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc have a risk associated with breeding. My wife and I have owned Bullies for 6 years and breeding for 5. We have had many litters and each litter is it own challenge. In addition to finding the right stud or bitch, getting the deed done and then the waiting.

Except sometimes mother nature is not cooperating. Females in heat or once bred can develop a problem called PYOMETRA. The results are either full spay in an emergency surgery or risk death. Even the surgery has a chance on death. If the surgery is successful, your female will be a loving pet for the rest of her life.

Sadly I just had this happen last week. She survived and is now recovering nicely but slowly.

Not trying to scare anyone, just providing facts about breeding.

Good Day~

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Hi! I am going to be very honest with you as well so you understand the risks from a newbies view. I am very new to the bulldog world and like you had these great aspirations of studding my lovely Arnold. Recently, our friend used Arnold as a stud. Someone very near and dear offered to mentor the females owner to ensure the safety of the pups and mom. They nicely declined.The pregancy went well, thank goodness. However, we lost the runt (of course this happens yet heart wrenching). But from day one, I have made suggestions to the other people and have been pretty much ignored. It is killing me and I feel guilt for being part of it. She had experience with breeding but never with bulldog pups. So that is one of the hard parts if you are not just donating sperm. I am completely enmeshed in this litter, yet helpless. The other thing is the behavior changes I have noticed in my dear sweet Arnold since the first stud. He is gross, lol, as well as slightly more aggressive. Not to people but to other dogs, male and female. Would he hurt another dog? Who knows but it sounds really mean when he barks. Then comes the damn marking lately. It is killing me but I made this bed; although I was nicely warned of possible outcomes. I hope this helps you understand the responsibility/choice you are taking.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.