Long story, but your help would be HUGELY appreciated...

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi! I am going to be very honest with you as well so you understand the risks from a newbies view. I am very new to the bulldog world and like you had these great aspirations of studding my lovely Arnold. Recently, our friend used Arnold as a stud. Someone very near and dear offered to mentor the females owner to ensure the safety of the pups and mom. They nicely declined.The pregancy went well, thank goodness. However, we lost the runt (of course this happens yet heart wrenching). But from day one, I have made suggestions to the other people and have been pretty much ignored. It is killing me and I feel guilt for being part of it. She had experience with breeding but never with bulldog pups. So that is one of the hard parts if you are not just donating sperm. I am completely enmeshed in this litter, yet helpless. The other thing is the behavior changes I have noticed in my dear sweet Arnold since the first stud. He is gross, lol, as well as slightly more aggressive. Not to people but to other dogs, male and female. Would he hurt another dog? Who knows but it sounds really mean when he barks. Then comes the damn marking lately. It is killing me but I made this bed; although I was nicely warned of possible outcomes. I hope this helps you understand the responsibility/choice you are taking.

Hello,
Yes, being the stud owner and selling, or donating leaves you out of the process.

My first comment is that NOT ALL runts fail to thrive? Of each of our litters, each runt lived, survived and each of the runts turned out to be AS BIG or bigger than the big puppy of the litter. I have updated pic of each of the runts of my litters from the owners and we are delighted with how well they have turned out. Our smallest runt was only 5 ounces when born. She dropped down to 4.5 ounces after a few days. We had to feed her with an eye dropper for many days until she was able to start nursing on her own. She grew up to be a beautiful girl! Never underestimate that the runt will live.

As for the behavior of your male. Correct that now. Just because a male is bred does not nor should it change or be allowed for him to act like that. Currently in our breeding program, at our home, we have 2 breeding males along with 4 females. They ALL get along, live together and act good. No marking in the house at all.

Be proactive, be consistent.

Good Day~

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Hello,
Yes, being the stud owner and selling, or donating leaves you out of the process.

My first comment is that NOT ALL runts fail to thrive? Of each of our litters, each runt lived, survived and each of the runts turned out to be AS BIG or bigger than the big puppy of the litter. I have updated pic of each of the runts of my litters from the owners and we are delighted with how well they have turned out. Our smallest runt was only 5 ounces when born. She dropped down to 4.5 ounces after a few days. We had to feed her with an eye dropper for many days until she was able to start nursing on her own. She grew up to be a beautiful girl! Never underestimate that the runt will live.

As for the behavior of your male. Correct that now. Just because a male is bred does not nor should it change or be allowed for him to act like that. Currently in our breeding program, at our home, we have 2 breeding males along with 4 females. They ALL get along, live together and act good. No marking in the house at all.

Be proactive, be consistent.

Good Day~

Thank you for your advice and believe me I am taking it all in and coming back for more. You may have opened a can of worms, lol!! Don't get me wrong, Arnold gets along with my other male as well as any male brought into my yard. But I have seen him more challenging outside of my yard, something very new in last couple months. For example, when we went to a Humane Society function, he actually lunged at a female lab. Of course he was reprimanded. But why whould he be aggressively challengly to a female?
As far as marking, I think he is following the scent of my Westie male (he was a puppy mill) dog. Arnold just recently started the marking in the house, very soon after the first stud. Associated or coincidence? I realize that the breeding act itself does not cause behaviors but more likely being unaltered. I have not been able to catch him doing it. what is your advice as to how to remedy the situation?
As far as being left out of the process, the females owners were friends and I was hoping they would take more advice since they were first time bullie breeders. And let me clarify, not my advice but others like yours, David's or Lisa's. It is killing me inside that perhaps the runt would have lived and I blame myself for getting involved in this. For example, reading the newbie's (Zapien?) post and all the things he is doing right.

Most Reactions