Does anyone know of conception percentages with different forms of breeding

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
UPDATE!!! Moxie is confirmed pregnant! Does anyone know of conception percentages with different forms of breeding

I am trying to research what the conception percentage is for the different ways of breeding bulldogs. As in what is the rate for AI breeding for a confirmed pregnancy?What is the rate for surgical implantation?I have tried to google for an answer but haven't really come up with anything. I did have one breeder claim that surgical insemination was 98% accurate. This number seems high to me. I can't find any other percentages so I was hoping that you guys could shed some light on it.Thanks in advance!Trace

Last edited:
OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Trying to decide if I should be offended at your reply....... Didn't realize this was the proper forum for an introduction nor did I know that it was a requirement to have a member answer my questions.

Back to topic can anyone recommend a website that has this information on it, or do any of you have personal experience on what the percentages would be for AI or surgical implantation?

Once again
thanks in advance!

Trace

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Trying to decide if I should be offended at your reply....... Didn't realize this was the proper forum for an introduction nor did I know that it was a requirement to have a member answer my questions.

Back to topic can anyone recommend a website that has this information on it, or do any of you have personal experience on what the percentages would be for AI or surgical implantation?

Once again
thanks in advance!

Trace

I know nothing about this..I imagine we have a couple members who might. It might take them a bit to find this. I'll tg a couple..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. ...@Davidh

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My breeder does AI and has had success over the past 5 years that way. I think it also depends how often you do AI during a heat and your timing. I dont know anything about the other methods! Good luck!

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Sorry! I have been doing research on this up comming litter for awhile, but information is so hard to come by! ;-/. For example I think I have been googling for weeks and yesterday was the first that it returned anything to do with this website! Most times I can't find what I am looking for and I am not sure if that is because it doesn't exist, if I just haven't googled the right combo of key words, or if people just don't talk about it to keep the valuable information for themselves. Anyway I am interested to hear what other in the know have to say about the topic!

Trace

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
My sister in law just bred her bully 2 weeks ago. Last year she tried 2 times with AI and her bully didn't catch. This year she did the surgical insemination. I wonder what the success rate is for SI. I am just trying to prepare myself if she doesn't catch again and knowing what the odds are will keep me grounded.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We tried doing the traditional AI's on days 9-11-13 but we never had any success until my vet taught me cytology. I have heard that surgical implant is a high success rate but your vet also needs to know what they are doing as well. They need to be in estrus or very close to it.

Turns out three of my girls never hit estrus until day 16 and one on day 6, hence why days 9-11-13 failed!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Cytology is different than blood testing progesterone correct? My vet does the progesterone tests, altho if cytology is a better course I would be curious to know why that route isn't used....at least in conjunction with progesterone testing. Does you vet do the progesterone tests as well or only the cytology testing? If yours does do progesterone are they the target tests in house or does he send out to a independent lab?

Thanks for the info so far!

Trace

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We always use surgical implantation and do progesterone tests. Our vet is very good at what he does and I have always had great results with this. He uses an independent lab for the results. I do not know percentages, you may talk to your vet for those. I know other breeders who do not do surgical implantation and sometimes do not take. We have better results with it. It all depends on if the blood testing is correct and your vet knows what they are doing. We are lucky and have an excellent bully vet.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the site, we are a good friendly group here who like to have fun together, learn from each other and also joke around with each other. Plus new members usually do introduce themselves to kind of break the ice so to speak, even though it is not a requirement, just curtious. Plus any member can answer a post or question.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Cytology is different than blood testing progesterone correct? My vet does the progesterone tests, altho if cytology is a better course I would be curious to know why that route isn't used....at least in conjunction with progesterone testing. Does you vet do the progesterone tests as well or only the cytology testing? If yours does do progesterone are they the target tests in house or does he send out to a independent lab?

Thanks for the info so far!

Trace

No cytology is where you examine the uterus cells under a high powered microscope. It is not as accurate if you don't know what you are looking at and they must be examined everyday, you must have a clean specimen that is taken correctly, ect. Progesterone testing is more accurate but you have to wait for results.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Glad I found this. I am taking Ireland in tomorrow for AI ( if everything checks out good for both of them). they are doing the Vag smear on her, They are also testing Chiefs swimmers, doing full chekcs etc. Im excited but nervious.

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
UPDATE TIME!!

Moxie is pregnant! Confirmed this am by a blood test at the vets! I am sooo excited! I am going to try to upload a couple of pictures of her. Here she is sprawled out on the kitchen floor. She is just 34 days and already looks miserable.

fde74041.jpg

Close up of her sticking her tongue
6ec43258.jpg

Next week we find out if Lola is pregnant as well.
1739cf2b.jpg

3bf49381.jpg

9d631fa8.jpg

Together last fall

a8268a6b.jpg

And together today
c4273201.jpg

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Moxie is pretty! What does the dad look like? I wonder if the pups will look like her?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.