Thread: I find this interesting, relating to puppies colors and markings and genes

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default I find this interesting, relating to puppies colors and markings and genes

Jesse and Tidus had a litter in November, and they are two bullies that are very different in build and color. Jesse is pretty stocky, with a frenchie look to her face, fawn in color. Tidus is super wrinkles with Brindle and white, smaller bone structure and not much taller than Jesse, but since his bones are smaller I think it gives the impression of more height.

So now this amazing litter, yes they seemed to be an awesome match, because their babies were gorgeous, are now about 7 months old. As puppies, they all had the same build mostly.

What I find interesting is that all the fawn colored (like mama) have her build and look more like her, and all the brindles (like daddy) have his build and look like him. Or are the colors deceiving me?

So I am curious if anyone else has experienced a litter where the colors of the pups followed the colors of the parents in who they ended up looking like?

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I find this interesting, relating to puppies colors and markings and genes

Well in Buddy I think he resembles his Sire Fizz, they are both red and white. Little Bee is dark brindle like BeBe and her sire was fawn and white, but Little Bee looks a lot like her mama BeBe. We had another on of Buddy's offspring that was red and white and he also looks a lot like Buddy. So there must be something to it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I find this interesting, relating to puppies colors and markings and genes

when it comes to my guys, @desertskybulldogs can comment on Remy, but Oliver and Sebastian I'm not so sure. Here is the picture of their momma and daddy!! Dozer (daddy)
    -dozer-jpg-sadie-jpg and Sadie (Momma)
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Linus is perfect in every way ..... does that help??

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

I'm not totally immersed in the genetics of hair color/other physical attributes, but it is very possible that the genes that give a certain coat color are on the same chromosome and close to genes that are associated with other physical characteristics. Such that when the mom gives one chromosome and the dad gives the other, the more dominant traits will show in the pup. Each parent might have one dominant and one recessive, who's ever dominant the pup gets, if all the genes are linked together, that's what will penetrate. I'm surprised they are not a bit mixed though

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

All very good points. Looking at a cute, cuddly puppy is easy to see. Trying to understand the genetics about color, coat, conformation, etc is where the REALLY tricky part comes in...

G'day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Remove Ads