Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Jesse and Tidus had a litter in November, and they are two bullies that are very different in build and color. Jesse is pretty stocky, with a frenchie look to her face, fawn in color. Tidus is super wrinkles with Brindle and white, smaller bone structure and not much taller than Jesse, but since his bones are smaller I think it gives the impression of more height.

So now this amazing litter, yes they seemed to be an awesome match, because their babies were gorgeous, are now about 7 months old. As puppies, they all had the same build mostly.

What I find interesting is that all the fawn colored (like mama) have her build and look more like her, and all the brindles (like daddy) have his build and look like him. Or are the colors deceiving me?

So I am curious if anyone else has experienced a litter where the colors of the pups followed the colors of the parents in who they ended up looking like?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well in Buddy I think he resembles his Sire Fizz, they are both red and white. Little Bee is dark brindle like BeBe and her sire was fawn and white, but Little Bee looks a lot like her mama BeBe. We had another on of Buddy's offspring that was red and white and he also looks a lot like Buddy. So there must be something to it.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
when it comes to my guys, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] can comment on Remy, but Oliver and Sebastian I'm not so sure. Here is the picture of their momma and daddy!! Dozer (daddy)
Dozer.jpgSadie.jpg and Sadie (Momma)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Linus is perfect in every way ..... does that help?? :laugh:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm not totally immersed in the genetics of hair color/other physical attributes, but it is very possible that the genes that give a certain coat color are on the same chromosome and close to genes that are associated with other physical characteristics. Such that when the mom gives one chromosome and the dad gives the other, the more dominant traits will show in the pup. Each parent might have one dominant and one recessive, who's ever dominant the pup gets, if all the genes are linked together, that's what will penetrate. :) I'm surprised they are not a bit mixed though :)

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

All very good points. Looking at a cute, cuddly puppy is easy to see. Trying to understand the genetics about color, coat, conformation, etc is where the REALLY tricky part comes in...

G'day~

Most Reactions