Do you blacken the nose?

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
During our first show we saw almost everyone putting black stuff on their dog's noses. We thought we were missing something so asked our conformation teacher (who is also an AKC judge.) He said it was against the rules to put anything on your dog - at all. It's supposed to be completely natural. He went into this big talk/lecture about if you get caught doing it the handler and dog can be banned from competition for life.

I've read threw a lot of the show books and can't find any rules on this. Anyone have any experience with this one?

We've only done one show so far; won 1st place puppy one day and 2nd place the next. Larry had a bout with allergies so we are waiting on his skin to clear up then it's back into the ring for him :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Bulldogs nose is supposed to be black and if it isn't the dog is not "show quality" and not supposed to be in the ring. the dog can be standard in any other way, but it the nose is not black that is disqualifying mark at least in Finland.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
From the Seattle English Bulldog Club website:

Face and Muzzle -The face, measured from the front of the cheekbone to the tip of the nose, should be extremely short, the muzzle being very short, broad, turned upward and very deep from the corner of the eye to the corner of the mouth. Nose--The nose should be large, broad and black, its tip set back deeply between the eyes. The distance from bottom of stop, between the eyes, to the tip of nose should be as short as possible and not exceed the length from the tip of nose to the edge of underlip. The nostrils should be wide, large and black, with a well-defined line between them. Any nose other than black is objectionable and a brown or liver-colored nose shall disqualify. Lips--The chops or "flews" should be thick, broad, pendant and very deep, completely overhanging the lower jaw at each side. They join the underlip in front and almost or quite cover the teeth, which should be scarcely noticeable when the mouth is closed.

OP
wendykerr

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks :) I know what the standard is as we show our sweet boy :)

Was just wondering if anyone here does it and why. I can understand putting conditioner on the nose but don't understand the point of the black stuff. Is it to just make it look smoother?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I've also heard that some people trim their bullies whiskers away, god knows why????....I can only say for my Usko that his nose is not ever blackened and he has all his whiskers and always will. I love that about (that too) bullies that I don't have to really do anything to Usko to show him. I don't even wash him for every show. Quick brush and that's it:D He has his "day spa" weekly and that takes care of his looks and health.

OP
wendykerr

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
We trim the whiskers, I like the way he looks all smooth :D
We also trim the hair around his tail since it seems to like to stick straight up :D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I quess I like mine all natural and sort of rugged and manly, hairs and all...no trimming or make up:D

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
yes its true, alot of show people have dogs that are very impressive but dont always meet all the standards and they will "cheat" to win. I dont have a negative opinion about the whole nose thing to be honest, its no big deal to me... but rules are rules i guess. oh well...

OP
wendykerr

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never cheated though... winning wouldnt feel the same to me.

Guess I never really thought about it as cheating, always kinda wondered if it was just something done to bring more attention to the dog - to make it look more smooth? Didn't think about it being used to cover up a DQ nose :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Guess I never really thought about it as cheating, always kinda wondered if it was just something done to bring more attention to the dog - to make it look more smooth? Didn't think about it being used to cover up a DQ nose :(

They probably are not. Maybe it's a polish or moisturizer type thing to make it look soft and shiney? A grooming tool of some sort?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I have shown bulldogs for 6 years now....They put whitner on the coats to help them look good, trim the whiskers and tail, and some put stuff on the nose to make it look nicer. I have never seen any rule that would disqualify a dog to help them look their best! No surgeries are allowed except for cherry eye as far as I know. And as far as the nose being a disqulification here is the rule for BCA, so its not disqualified in the US anyway. Any nose other than black is objectionable and a brown or liver-colored nose shall disqualify!
Hope some of this makes sense!
Roanne

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
When other people blacken their dogs nose I just noticed that in our last show Usko had white zink paste on his nose:loco2:

CraftingDreams

Dec 25, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I think she will be called Nadia G
I thought I saw that if the nose is liver colored (or not black) it was just a deduction in points.. I mean, I guess if it was enough points it would disqualify.. I started printing out the whole site and making it into a manual that I can go through, mark and study.. ran out of ink.. LOL... my husband thinks Im nuts.. and honestly, not sure if I can even show my little girl once I get her and train her.. .either way, shes my baby.. but I do like to know..

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Spielman is out. He has a pink nostril. I wish his nose were all black but he has some pink on his. Not that he was ever going to see the inside of a ring. Now I have to decide if I tell him or not. LOL. My wife has already told him he is fat so I might as well tell him his nose isn't show quality.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.