Trying to breed my bully

bullerik

Oct 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefy
Hello,

Im trying to find a female English bulldog for my bully but I don't know where to start finding people in my area. I know I definitely want another pure English bully who is registered. Also, I've done some research and found out somewhat how deals go when breeding with another person. Feel free to correct but it's something along the lines of me getting paid for the stud then getting only 1 pup out of the litter.

I'm really looking forward to breeding my bully because I want him to have a friend to play with etc.

Thanks.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have no advice on this! Breeding English Bulldogs is not like breeding any other breed!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Don't know for sure but I think you either get paid or pick a bully. If you r serious about breeding I would go to some bca dog shows our something to get to understand how this all works. breeding a bully should be done to better the breed which means your bully should be evaluated to make sure it is worthy of carrying on a blood line. Most bullies r better as pets than for breeding.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
Have your shown him at all? Make sure he fits all the breed standards. Make sure you have a copy of his pedigree, not just his AKC paperwork. You'll also need a good bulldog vet or someone experienced in sperm draws.
There are tons of other things to consider before studding your baby. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow! This is a serious undertaking and I would like to suggest that you spend a lot of time researching and educating yourself. It's a very difficult and even dangerous thing to try without the right preparedness. Many litters and mommy bully's have lost their lives . I would think its would be much better all the way around to ind a "playmate" from someone who has learned how to successfully breed :bully:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
With this breed you will not get pick of the litter. You will be paid stud fee of probably 500 to 600 dollars I believe. And that is usually only if you have a great lines and he's is healthy. I would make sure that the female you're breeding with also has healthy lines. If the owner of the female doesn't do any of the checking, you do not want to breed with that pup. It costs around 6000.00 or more for a single litter of puppies. So you wanna make sure that both parties involved are healthy before you spend that much money on producing a litter.

~Disclaimer~
Sent from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk. I'm probably crouched down in a corner at work trying to send this post via dictation software. I shall not be held responsible for any misspellings, incorrect punctuation, and most importantly ..... incorrect translations!!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
All good breeders only pay for semen and will not "give" a puppy away for stud fee. Also things you have to research before you stud you male out, plus the female owner should also consider this is; what is their pedigree, is it a good match, temperament, health and picking a mate to complement and better the breed are all things that should be considered before breeding. You need to make sure both are very healthy with no issues, plus what issues did the sire and dam of both male and female have that might be passed down to future litters. When people just throw two bullies together without any research is when you start getting ugly bullies, bullies with bad health issues, bad temperament and the list goes on. People should only breed to "better" the breed and not just to get a free puppy. I'm not saying you male is not worthy of breeding, I'm just saying to do your homework and pick a female that will produce better bully pups. We try to breed show quality pups and wish everyone would do the same.

OP
bullerik

bullerik

Oct 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefy
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

While I understand most of the risks involving breeding, the thing is that I just don't know where to start. I'm almost at the point of being desperate because I badly want another bully in the house so they can play with each other. But I just don't know where or who to contact so I can breed him. I've heard of breeding veterinarians but I can't find one in my area (South Florida). All I can find is horse breeding vets which obviously doesn't help. Anyways, I've done quite a bit of researching but sometimes I get different things from different sites on breeding which makes me doubt their legitimacy. Is there a legitimate and updated "guide" or regulations to follow when breeding that is known?

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I'm with you when you say that bulldogs should be bred to only better them. My bully is a champion English bulldog so I don't want anything less than that. I love them way too much and I will make sure to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=3497]bullerik[/MENTION] if your boy is already a champion then you should have met people at the shows and they should know your boy. This is how you find and meet people to breed your boy with. If he was a champion before you got him then you need to ask the breeder you got him from or the handler that showed him, if they know of someone looking for a stud, and they should be able to help you find a good match for him. This is how we met people and would show Buddy off. People saw him and would ask us if we use him as a stud. Once they were interested then we would sit down and look at pedigrees. (Buddy's and the female they wanted to breed with). Then we would decide if it was a good match. I have turned down several breedings with him because I felt it was not a good match, and the people who own the females has done the same. But he has sired several litters and has produced some beautiful pups, even some show quality pups, because of the females we have chosen for him. So since he is already a champion you should not have any problem finding a mate for him, as people should already know him.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
All good breeders only pay for semen and will not "give" a puppy away for stud fee. Also things you have to research before you stud you male out, plus the female owner should also consider this is; what is their pedigree, is it a good match, temperament, health and picking a mate to complement and better the breed are all things that should be considered before breeding. You need to make sure both are very healthy with no issues, plus what issues did the sire and dam of both male and female have that might be passed down to future litters. When people just throw two bullies together without any research is when you start getting ugly bullies, bullies with bad health issues, bad temperament and the list goes on. People should only breed to "better" the breed and not just to get a free puppy. I'm not saying you male is not worthy of breeding, I'm just saying to do your homework and pick a female that will produce better bully pups. We try to breed show quality pups and wish everyone would do the same.

Good points, however I will take exception on the POL vs stud fee.

There are many breeders both stud and bitch owners who are willing to do a POL. For the stud owner, the chance of getting a puppy from a litter can be worth more than the cost of the stud fee. The bitch owner can have the remaining puppies, also as good of quality, for only the cost of the shipping and the vet expenses.

Bartering was the most common method in ancient history?

Just my opinion.

G'day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.