Are English Bulldog puppies born with a tail?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
A screw tail is one that curls and is close to the body, sometimes tight fitting to the body.

Malin Björefalk

Jan 7, 2013
Kristinehamn, Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Hayley
Svans1.jpg
This is our girls tail - it is 7.1 inches long. i really wanted to go to shows with her, but cant find how long tail that is aloud - the breed standard doesnt mention any length preferenses... anyone know? she has fci pedigree and is 13 weeks old by now.. can anyone help me, is it to be read somewhere what is aloud and not?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
View attachment 34797
This is our girls tail - it is 7.1 inches long. i really wanted to go to shows with her, but cant find how long tail that is aloud - the breed standard doesnt mention any length preferenses... anyone know? she has fci pedigree and is 13 weeks old by now.. can anyone help me, is it to be read somewhere what is aloud and not?

I bet [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] might know..

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Yes, English Bulldogs are born with tails. I don't ever remember my grandma docking any tails on the bullies! Some had long tails, but not many in all the years that I remember...and she probably raised 250 puppies in 30 years.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is the AKC standard for the bully tail.

The tail may be either straight or "screwed" (but never curved or curly), and in any case must be short, hung low, with decided downward carriage, thick root and fine tip. If straight, the tail should be cylindrical and of uniform taper. If "screwed," the bends or kinks should be well defined, and they may be abrupt and even knotty, but no portion of the member should be elevated above the base or root

So you can see the tail can be straight but short, so your bully's tail is a little long, but do not have it docked as that will be a disqualification.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
View attachment 34797

that's called a pump handle tail and will look substantially shorter as she grows up. It should be allowable.

Malin Björefalk

Jan 7, 2013
Kristinehamn, Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Hayley
Here is the AKC standard for the bully tail.

The tail may be either straight or "screwed" (but never curved or curly), and in any case must be short, hung low, with decided downward carriage, thick root and fine tip. If straight, the tail should be cylindrical and of uniform taper. If "screwed," the bends or kinks should be well defined, and they may be abrupt and even knotty, but no portion of the member should be elevated above the base or root

So you can see the tail can be straight but short, so your bully's tail is a little long, but do not have it docked as that will be a disqualification.

thats is the same information that can be read for european standard and FCI standard, but there is no where one can read actually inches thats is allowed, right? thank you guys for reply =)

Malin Björefalk

Jan 7, 2013
Kristinehamn, Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Hayley
that's called a pump handle tail and will look substantially shorter as she grows up. It should be allowable.
never heard of that name on the bulldog tail - i will google it, thank you! =) i also think it will look shorter when she grows into it, but wanted to check with you guys if you had some more information - i have searched the internet so im starting to get grey hair soon ;) tnx again :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes they are born with tails. I don't know if Ace had a straight or screw tail at birth as the entire litter were all docked not long after birth

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Both of our last two litters had a lot of long tails, they look very long when they are born but they do get smaller compared to now as they grow as well. I remember Linus had the longest, it was almost down to his feet. How big is it now [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] ?

How strange. I never got this tag [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]!!! Linus has grown into his tail!! Altho it is still curly at the tip - like somebody made a question mark and stuck it on his bum!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358777705.007397.jpg

I will get a better pic tonight IF he stays still long enough!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] well I don't know who your breeder is and don't want to know, but you DO NOT dock bully tails, period!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
A pump handle tail is the standard on an AmStaff, Staffy or APBT. I have seen them on some OEB's whose tails weren't docked. May be less common on EB's but I'm not sure

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
A pump handle tail just means it resembles the old fashioned pump handle on a well.
Somewhat short in comarison to length of dog and not curled or carried and held over the back

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
On OEB's the standard is different for tails than an EB. On OEB's A pump handle is preffered as long as it is carried low and not over the back, but screw tails and docked tails are acceptable.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
On OEB's it seems like it depends on the organization doing the registration. Some allow for docked others consider it a fault and some a disqualification.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.