bottle feeding 2 week old puppies.....

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
My English Bulldog had a c-section 2 weeks ago today. She didn't produce enough milk for them along with having Mastitis. I am bottle feeding them 100% of the time, and it scares the heck out of me. I'm actually get sick to my stomach when it is time to feed them. I am afraid that I am going to overfeed them and make them aspirate and cause pnuemonia. This is my bully's first litter and it will be her last!!! I am the one getting up at all hours taking care of them and let me tell you, it has been an experience that I don't ever want to do again.
I took them to the vet today thinking that one of the girls had pnuemonia do to coughing after eating, but is fine when she is done? The doctor put her and her sister on antibiotics as a percaution(sp?) He said that now I can go every 4 hours in between feedings. First week was every 2 hours, last week was every 3 hours and this being a new week I can go every 4 hours. Now I am scared that they won't get enough to eat and lose weight?. I weigh them everyday and figure 1 cc per ounce of bodyweight. Is this correct? I really need some support, PLEASE!!! Also, when I start feeding them their noses are wet, is this normal as well? I really do appreciate some advice, Please and Thank You!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: and I am going to tag our two baby experts. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] ... I am sure both of them will be able to give you lots of advice!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I supplemented with bottles and I know how scary it can be when you see milk coming from their nose. To worry about over feeding just take a good look at their bellies before you feed them, and after that belly should look nice and full, but not so stretched out they are uncomfortable and don't want to move. Are they all doing well on the bottle?

I also think every 4 hours at 2 weeks is stretching it a bit, but it really depends on their size. At a fresh 2 weeks we are on every 3 hours, we may stretch the night feedings out to 4 hours. I would feel more comfortable advising you to not move to 4 hours until they are 3 weeks old. That is strictly my opinion and everyone does it differently, but I would prefer more frequent smaller meals, good to make sure they do not get hypoglycemic and keep their blood sugar levels up.

Otherwise, are they doing well? :pics:

I moved this topic to the breeders area to get more targeted responses.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LMAO I was wondering what the heck!? LOL Okay, it is in the Breeders area.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], in feeding every 3 hours, and just watch their tummies. Also put plenty of blankets and towels in their bed and we make little valleys in their so they will sleep on their sides some so they will not get flat chest, or what they call "swimmers". Please post some pics of those precious babies. Any other questions please post away.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Dont have any advice as seeing you got the best already! This is a great site for all knowledge and help. Wishing you, Gucci, and the babies well! Please post some pics :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How is mamma and the mastitis? This is very scary as well. I hope it was not too bad of a case.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2876]mom of 5[/MENTION] - How's the crew doing? A few pics wouldn't hurt either....LOL

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help but I hope you all are doing ok too. This is part of why breeding is so hard. A very dangerous process in the best of circumstances. Please share some pics, we LOVE puppes. ;)

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
So far so good on the lil girls! I am just weighing them and then figuring out cc's per ounce of body weight. They are gaining so I guess I am doing something right. As for picture's, how do I upload them? I'd LOVE to share their sweet lil faces!!=D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.