Mating

Lolita

Jun 16, 2010
Laval, Qc, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Destiny and Maximus
Hi, everyone, my Bully Lola is 3 years old and I really want her to have puppies, is she still able to do it? I would love it if I could raise one of her pups ;) :begging:

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
IF you decide to breed I would highly recommend finding a breeder/mentor to work with. Breeding and taking care of the pups and mama is TONS of work! Do your research thoroughly before taking on this endeavor. Best of luck in your decision.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Lolita, I don't mean to discourage you but I do speak from experience. I've had two litters of my own. I lost two pups the first litter and thankfully none the second. Had to take two weeks off of work to take care of them round the clock. If you have any other ? Feel free to message me.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Honestly..if you have THIS kind of question pertaining to breeding, you aren't ready or qualified to deal with a very serious issue like breeding. Lots of Bully's don't make it through the process and to have a pup from your female sure doesn't seem worth the risks involved. I hope you seriously educate yourself and realize its NOT about the cute pups...it's about responsibility and knowledge. There is a wonderful article here on Breeding..might be a good place to start.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...91-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes

Heres the link

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with everyone above. You sound like I did when we first got Cutty. I just wanted one of his babies cuz I mean he was perfect so why wouldnt I? Then you get to learning about the breed and what it takes to breed and the right reasons for breeding etc.... Not something the majority of people should even consider really. Especially having the girl, my gosh so many bullies die due to not having the knowledge or understanding of what it means to actually breed.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. There is more to it than most people think. It's not like breeding Cocker Spaniels. They do not just take care of themselves. There is artificial insemination, then you have to have the pups delivered by C-session, taking a chance of loosing you female and pups, not to mention the money involved. Be preparied to spend about 3 to 4 thousand US dollars just to have a litter. Then you have round the clock care for the pups, because you can not leave mom in with the pups all the time or unattended. Now lets talk about choosing the right male for her. What is her pedigree, temperament and health and picking a sire to complement and better the breed for you pups. These are all things that should be considered before just have a litter for a pup.

C

Cooper11

My mom always would say she wanted to breed Gracie and I always said no you don't! I think it was more of an idea than reality. You have to think it i possible you can lose the mommy and it i expensive like others have said 3 to 4 thousand and usually their first litter is rather small so I know that it's not about making money but you better be prepared to take a big loss. :) I am sure if you do your research and such and contact a breeder and you still think you want to do it go ahead. It is totally up to you. My mom and I weren't willing to risk Gracie's life and I personally think it takes a toll on their body having pups. And the money issue....we wouldn't care if we made money but weren't willing to go in the hole. I can tell you 3 years old is not too old. You have to wait to breed English Bulldogs because they take longer to mature. I think i have read you shouldn't breed before the age of 2. But don't quote me on that for I am not a breeder and don't know much about breeding other than what I have heard and read when I was researching EB to get Coop.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I totally see where you are coming from. There's few things that are as cute as baby bullies. However, I have heard such heartbreaking stories about loosing pups....and even loosing the mama. I personally would be too scared because bulldogs and pregnancy are so risky. If you did want to go ahead with it though, it would be really good to find a mentor as the other members have suggested. There are so many kind and knowledgable people on this forum and I know some of them breed as well.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm glad that you have obviously had such great advice already. I wouldn't even consider it because I know that I dont have the time, money or dedication that it requires. Breeding english bulldogs is more dangerous than anything else I have yet to personally come across!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Honestly..if you have THIS kind of question pertaining to breeding, you aren't ready or qualified to deal with a very serious issue like breeding. Lots of Bully's don't make it through the process and to have a pup from your female sure doesn't seem worth the risks involved. I hope you seriously educate yourself and realize its NOT about the cute pups...it's about responsibility and knowledge. There is a wonderful article here on Breeding..might be a good place to start.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...91-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes

Heres the link

WOW. I knew birthing EB babies was different than other pups but I honestly had NO idea. I have a whole new respect for breeders now.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Recently, I had this same idea but the more I read and talk to breeders, I have changed my mind. In fact, our friend has a female she is requesting Arnold to stud for (brown chicken brown cow, lol) but I really may talk her out of it since she could not handle the loss of her dear Maggie. She lost her 25 y/o son to cancer a year ago and this would just break her!! Miss Bertha Bacon's momma is a great mom but the breeders other female almost lost her life and was only saved with 3 blood transusions!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.