Heat lamp

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
What size heat lamp does everyone use for the puppies. It is winter here in NY and want to keep them warm once they get here. I usually use a 200 watt infra red but that always gives off too much heat. I want to use a heating pad but can't seem to find one that doesn't shut off.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION] - tagging the other daddy here. Maybe he can help?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Davidh , [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and @Sherry may be able to give insight on this question

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have not used a heat lamp myself, we use these little microwavable heat disk. They are round disk that have a cloth sleeve they fit in and stay warm for hours. They work for us. Plus I put a blanket over the top of the whelping box, to keep drafts out. This seems to work good for us.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use the heat lamp system with extendable arm from durawhelp. I swing it away if it gets too warm and during feedings so mama does not get too hot, and put it above if it is cold.

I also use heating pads, I have been lucky to have some that I found at swap meets and yard sales that do not shut off automatically. I do have one I bought new and I turn it on and off after each feeding. I also have a thermometer on the floor and in the box to guage temp, I try to keep it around 85F.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I too use the heat pad, I stay in a room with the puppies that I also keep at 78 degrees and a humidifier. whew, and kept a light blanket on top of the puppy bed for the first week or so. I have seen the heat lamps used but don't have experience with them.
How exciting, new puppy's . keep us posted with lots of pictures

OP
roanne9145

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I tried the disc but found it a pain in the butt to keep heating it up..Thanks though

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.