How to stud your dog

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Hello, I am a fairly new owner a bully, and a new user of this website. My question is how to find owners interested in my bullies "services"? Also, when is the age he can start producing semen. Winston is will be 10 months in November, my breeder I purchased him from said some negotiations are for a fee and some could be pick of the litter. What are some of your experiences with studding out your dog? I know the bloodline is very important on breeders choosing your dog, Winston has Champion's in his bloodline but with me not showing him he is not one. Will this lose interest in a potential market?

Here are some pictures of my handsome stud.
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png

Thanks,
Jared

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok I don't know a darn thing about this but I know some people who might. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] may have some experience and advice for you. I'm sure they will be along shortly . Winston is very handsome btw

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK first welcome to the site and Winston is a handsome boy. I would say wait till he is at least a year old, then have a vet do a semen count. But me personally I would not use him as a stud because of the pink on his nose. This may be passed on and I would not take that chance. When I breed I try to better the breed and will not use a dog that has any defect that I know about. A lot of people unfortunately do not always do this and that's when you can start getting pups that are sick or have health issues. Not many responsible breeders out there and only breed for money.

We had a beautiful girl we were going to keep and breed but as she got a little older her jaw grew a little off center. Our vet said he was nor sure if she would pass this on so we had her fixed and sold as a pet to a great family that just loves her to death. I'm not trying to put your dog down because he is a handsome boy, but I would not use him as a stud myself. Just my opinion.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Handsome Bully that Winston. I added you to my FB page :meeting: but I have to agree with David.Someone who is going to breed a bitch for a good known bloodline will unfortunately most likely not consider him for studding. Lots go into showing these dogs as well as any other breed . You may want to either try just for non-show/Championship breeding or have him fixed. I have my bitch at the breeder for the next 6 days,. I paid his fee for stud services , they get no pick of the litter and thats IF she even takes and is able to carry one. Reputable breeders just charge a studding fee so there is no need to negotiate who gets first pick etc because ANYTHING can happen with a litter and the bitch. My Bully was the only pup to survive birth, can you see where this would have been an issue if there was some "First Pick" agreement? I chose his Bully due to certain traits as well as its lineage but had it had any inherited medical issues, defects or markings that could have possible been passed down I would have went with another breeder no problem.

OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
First off, I'd like to thank you for your input. My main concern for Winston is being a good responsible owner, and to David to pointing out his pink on his nose. I didn't even take that into consideration, so if that will lose interest in possible studding I will definitely get him fixed. I am obviously more concerned for his health, and not passing on defective traits to offspring. I purchased Winston because I fell in love with him and strictly for a pet. Also to David, I didn't take offense or you "putting" Winston down I like the constructive criticism.

Is it possible that his nose will darken fully, or is that how it will remain?

To Victor, I can see where negotiating could get a little complicated if unexpected events happen to the litter. Thank you for your input.

Another question I have is when will he be considered fully grown? I weighed him about two weeks ago and he was 52lbs. I think he is done growing height wise, but i feel like he still needs to beef up horizontally.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Bully's mature slower than most breeds so you can consider him fully matured at 2 years

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2920]Jungerland[/MENTION] I have no knowledge of bulldog breeding standards, but just wanted to say :welcome: and I think Winston is just totally gorgeous ... even with his pink spotted nose!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes it takes about 2 years or so for them to fully mature. He will now start to widen out some as he gets older. As far as the pink on his nose, it will probably stay pink, it should have turned already if it was going to. We are glad you are here and ask any question you have, that's what we are here for is to learn off each other. He is a handsome boy and would like to see more pics when you post them. Photobucket is an easy way to post pics on here and is free.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Winston is indeed a handsome fella. The pink on his nose is undesirable in the ring only, and would have him disqualified. Some peeps don't care to show their dog. But in the long run, the nose could be passed down to someone who does. After becoming a champion if they were to breed, puppy's can show up with this nose. If the nose is liver colored or brown they call it a Dudley nose. And the only reason your bulldog would be disqualified in the ring. Go figure. Griz was neutered last week because he proves to have skin issues and I will not pass that on in the breed. Most people want to better the breed. But some are in it for the all mighty $$$$ The bulldog has enough problems and is a high maintenance dog, literally. You shouldn't go into buying a dog purely for the sake of breeding, it can run into many problems with the future line. I couldn't agree more with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] although my breeder has high quality lines in the parents, the champion line stops with the her dogs as she doesn't show them. They are still show quality dogs when you look back into the parents history. What ever you decide, to have Winston neutered or used for breeding, welcome to EBN. If you do decide to breed, do your research and make sure with blood work and x-rays that your Winston is a healthy Bulldog. Keep in touch.

OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Thank you everyone for your responses and knowledge. I definitely have found this website very helpful so far

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online