how long should pup feed from mother

jackal

Oct 7, 2011
my dog gave birth on monday its now friday and i worried that the pup isnt eating enough she seems healthy enough and got a belly,there was only the one pup iv made sure the nipples are producing milk,she seems to feed for 5 mins then back to sleep for and hour or 2 then 5-10 min feed max and sometimes cries when feeding as if not getting any milk, is this normal i was told they should feed for at least 15 mins every 2 hours,she has grow a bit in the first 4 days

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
No experience with breeding, but I'll tag the site owner @desertskybulldogs . She should be able to share some insight. There are a few other members here too that should be able to help. @Davidh and @ABEBD

Oh and welcome to the site. :)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
HI and welcome, I know someone will be along shortly with the answer you are looking for.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's tough when you only have one pup feeding on mom. she can start to dry up, before the pup gets weened. They usually feed 10 to 15 minutes, every 2 hours. As long as your pup is gaining weight everyday she is doing good. If you do not have a scale that weights in ounces you need to get one. We weigh ours everyday morning and night to see how they are doing. If mom does not product enough milk after awhile, you may need to supplement with formula. When Lucy had Buddy he was an only pup and we ran into the same problem, he was not getting enough from Lucy and we had to supplement his feedings. Let them feed all they can from mom and then finish off with formula if needed. Our vet showed us how to tube feed. I was not very good at it, too scared I would do it wrong and kill the pup. We found a small bottle with just the right size nipple that worked well for Buddy. Good luck and hope this helps. OH and we do need some pics of that little cutie.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.