Thread: how long should pup feed from mother

Default how long should pup feed from mother

my dog gave birth on monday its now friday and i worried that the pup isnt eating enough she seems healthy enough and got a belly,there was only the one pup iv made sure the nipples are producing milk,she seems to feed for 5 mins then back to sleep for and hour or 2 then 5-10 min feed max and sometimes cries when feeding as if not getting any milk, is this normal i was told they should feed for at least 15 mins every 2 hours,she has grow a bit in the first 4 days

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: how long should pup feed from mother

No experience with breeding, but I'll tag the site owner @desertskybulldogs . She should be able to share some insight. There are a few other members here too that should be able to help. @Davidh and @ABEBD

Oh and welcome to the site.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

HI and welcome, I know someone will be along shortly with the answer you are looking for.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

It's tough when you only have one pup feeding on mom. she can start to dry up, before the pup gets weened. They usually feed 10 to 15 minutes, every 2 hours. As long as your pup is gaining weight everyday she is doing good. If you do not have a scale that weights in ounces you need to get one. We weigh ours everyday morning and night to see how they are doing. If mom does not product enough milk after awhile, you may need to supplement with formula. When Lucy had Buddy he was an only pup and we ran into the same problem, he was not getting enough from Lucy and we had to supplement his feedings. Let them feed all they can from mom and then finish off with formula if needed. Our vet showed us how to tube feed. I was not very good at it, too scared I would do it wrong and kill the pup. We found a small bottle with just the right size nipple that worked well for Buddy. Good luck and hope this helps. OH and we do need some pics of that little cutie.
    Last edited by Davidh; 10-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Remove Ads