I HAVE BEEN ADOPTED! ~Oppa~English Bulldog Available for Adoption in Arizona

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
oppa.jpg

History: Oppa was “rescued” from a Korean puppy shop in Seoul, Korea approximately four years ago. The rescue involved basically moving the dog to a small apartment in the city centre with a section blocked off in the kitchen. The toilet was an absorbent pad. At that time Oppa was blind from trichiasis (his eye folds top and bottom rolled in and over the eye scarring it), deaf (from build-ups in the ear and infections), was 30 lbs lighter with horrible, patchy skin that stunk! – and he lacked any tolerable socialization skills. Because of his lack of vision and poor hearing he interacted with the world (like a human infant) with his mouth. Except Oppa has a super-large, crazy-strong maw, haha. His almost exclusive companion back in Korea was a cat, so some of his behaviors are modeled after feline behaviors (Today he lives with two human adults and a small terrier). It was also during this apartment-time-living in Korea that his penis-bone caught in some fencing and, sadly, half of it was surgically removed.

Fast forward. We have had Oppa for a year. He is house broken and now looks at people for visual clues and responds to his name and basic commands. We use a shake can for on-the-spot corrections (usually involving our other dog). He is completely house broken and can hold himself beyond 12 hours if needed. I usually walk him daily, off leash (with harness on and leash tucked into the harness) about half an hour of slow walking, though he occasionally will break into a trot, and stops more than walks. He walks on my right, but may circle around me. He can be very stubborn (SURPRISE) and will stand at an intersection for minutes before agreeing on our direction. I usually don’t tug the leash to correct him (since he ignores it and is so strong), but instead will simply touch him on the butt and speak to him – this usually gets him going. Also, he can be trusted to hang around with you outside the home off leash as well, on the porch for example, though he will walk up slowly to greet a visitor. Unfortunately, he does jump up on people. We do not tolerate this, but have not completely stopped this behavior – our bad! We do allow him to join us on the couch, chairs and bed (we encourage it). Anyway, all the off-leash behavior is not trusted to Opaa alone to behave; I always have eyes on him on the porch, and keep him never more than a step or two away if walking. He is never aggressive to strangers. And 95% of the time, if a neighbor dog begins barking and losing its mind – Opaa will stay calm and ignore it if I stay calm and ignore it. I actually tell him out loud that he shouldn’t worry about it if I am not worried about it.

He is a really good dog!

What’s happening today? With the weather warming up, so if the sidewalk. Oppa is not happy with it. Thus the walks are even earlier in the morning. He rides great in cars. He does shed. He usually won’t take a treat from a stranger if out – but will want to love the stranger, and expect a good back scratch.

The neatest thing about Oppa now is his attempts at sharing affection; they are new and tentative and very sweet. He gave me kisses for the first time yesterday. Also, Oppa is seeing things for the first time. The last walk I noticed that he was watching the tops of the walls for jumping dogs. Too cool. A year ago he was so blind that he would walk into things, like the bumper hitches on trucks when we were out for our walk. Today, he likes to play sometimes by taking a toy in his mouth and if it squeaks, to poke your leg with it while it is still in his mouth, making it squeak. Unfortunately, this brings his jaws to your leg and I have been pinched before. But it is still a game we play. I also like to tackle him and rub his belly – but this is probably not a good idea any more, haha.

If you know what I mean by a cat going frenetic, spinning in circles – that whole insane-for-a-moment cat thing. Well, Oppa does that too, but at 70-plus-lbs, it’s sight to behold (watch your shins!).

Medicines:

Eye drops/Artificial tears: From the grocery store pharmacy section. Loosens up crud in the morning, afternoon and night. 3-4 drops in each eye often followed immediately with a second treatment. If the eye keeps getting worse over the week and we want to break the cycle, we occasionally use Bausch+Lomb prescription, Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulphates and Dexamethasone Opphalmic Suspension USP. As needed, but pretty infrequently. Mostly use the artificial tears.

Gel for Ear/Chin/Crease: VetOne Gentizol (Gentamicin Sulphate, USP Betamethasone Valerate, SUP and Clortimazole USP).

Solution for ear cleaning: Conquer Hy-Otic Ear Rinse with Sodium Hyaluronate.

Tail spot: VetOne EnteDerm (Nystatin-Neomycin Sulfate-Thiostrepton-Triamcinolone Acetonide)

Skin: Prescription Prednisone when things are out of control.

Paw licking: Sulfodene 2-Mercaptobenzothiazole Skin Medication for Dogs (Hot Spots)

Real world: Clean his eyes when needed with drops, and wipe and pick as you go. Be mindful of the ear. Give him a good rub if he gets itchy. He loves massages. I give him dozens daily, to include (believe this or not) using a commercial, two-hand held, 110 volt electric massager. Oppa goes nuts and lets me massage his flanks, back and neck. The massager is a monster, and my dog is nuts. Together it is hilarious.

Update: I've been ADOPTED!

To view more available English Bulldogs from this rescue, click this link ---> Almost Home

Please let them know you found them on English Bulldog News! :up:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.