Holiday Dangers for English Bulldogs
The winter holidays are an expensive time of year for most. The holidays can also mean BIG bulldog health expenses if we're not careful. Here are some of the top dangers of winter holiday related activities.
>Pain Reliever Poisoning
The holidays can be a time of overindulging on more than just food. As the alcoholic beverages flow, the next-day headaches increase. Be sure to keep your bottle of pain reliever out of reach from your bulldog. There's a dramatic rise in pain reliever poisonings this time of year including but not limited to Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, Bufefrin, etc. .
>No Bones About it
Bones are often given to bulldogs by people who think itís natural for bulldogs to chew on them. However, bones can splinter and small bones from that turkey or chicken you had for your holiday dinner are often small enough for a bulldog to swallow.
>Plants and floral decorations
One of the most popular holiday plants is the Poinsettia, it is easily recognizable by their large red, white, pink or mottled leaves. These plants also contain a thick, milky irritant sap (latex) and can cause real bad stomach problems for your bully. Those Christmas lilies that make such beautiful and exotic looking arrangements are extremely toxic. In fact, all parts of the lily, including the pollen is considered to be poisonous. This is the one plant that can easily be fatal to a bulldog if ingested. Other plants, such as holly and mistletoe are also poisonous to bulldogs as well.
>Swallowing Their Toys
Keep an eye on your bulldog while they play and only give toys/bones that are large enough that your bulldog canít swallow them. If your bulldog chews up their toy into smaller pieces they could swallow, you should throw the remnants away, Nylabones are notorious for bulldogs breaking into small pieces and swallowing them.
>All That Glitters, is Not Always Safe
Glass ornaments are beautiful but present hazards to bulldogs. Ornaments can get knocked off the tree by bulldogs. If the ornament falls off the tree it can shatter on the ground. Bulldogs may try to eat the glass pieces and/or the glass shards can cut their paws. The glass pieces can also get lodged in the paw causing pain and in some cases requiring removal by a vet.
>Be Very Careful of Toys made in China
There are several toy companies in China that continue to use lead based paint to decorate dog toys which in most cases is fatal to dogs. Be careful and check out which country produces the toys you give your bulldogs. If you're buying a toy from a discount store check if it's made in China if it is put it back. Better to be safe then sorry. Watch the quality of stuffed toys you give a bulldog. If you can easily tear it apart just think how fast your bully will demolish it.
> Gum in Stockings? Not!
Sugar-free gum contains an ingredient called Xylitol which is toxic to bulldogs. Whether itís because packs of gum are in the stockings, or because gum is more prevalent for all the holiday gatherings, keep it out of reach of the bully.
Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to bulldogs, caffeine and theobromine. Bulldogs have sensitive stomachs and are more prone to negative reactions. If ingested, these two ingredients can lead to a number of medical complications and may even prove fatal to your bulldog.
Just a little caution on our part can save our bulldogs pain and keep that holiday cheer going!