Ten Commandments of a responsible pet owner
1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me Ė it is crucial for my well-being
4. Donít be angry with me for long, and donít lock me up for my punishment. You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment. I have only you!
5. Talk to me. Even if I donít understand your words, I understand your voice when itís speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, Iíll NEVER forget it.
7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps Iím not getting the right food, Iíve been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, ďI canít bear to watch itĒ or, ďLet it happen on my absence.Ē Everything is easier for ME if you are there. Remember, I love you.